Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Cornfields Everywhere

I have lived in Ohio for the majority of my life and cornfields don't bother me that much so attending a college where there is an abundance of cornfields, does not phase me. Sure, Ohio Northern University may not be in some big city like most colleges but the university makes up for it in their heart and drive. ONU has a loving and encouraging atmosphere, which I think students need more than some big city. Yes, it would be awesome to be able to live in a big city while going to college but I wouldn't trade Ohio Northern University for anything.






When I was in my senior year of high school and deciding where I wanted to go to college, my main priority was that I lived on a big campus where there was a variety of stuff to do. I wanted to live in a big city where I could go shopping and have nice dinners with my friends. I wanted that typical "college dream school" you see in the movies. Although these were important aspects to me, everything changed once I started visiting different colleges. I soon realized that I wasn't a huge fan of the big campus life. Everything was so far away from each other and I knew I would have a hard time if I had an early class that required me to make a 20 minute commute (I'm not a morning person). So once I visited ONU, I realized that a smaller sized campus was more my style. The campus was still spread out somewhat but I would definitely be able to make it to class if I woke up late. So far, so good.


From there, everything just kept getting better as I looked more into ONU. One aspect that I loved was the faculty provided. They were all so nice and knowledegable. I felt like I would fit in at ONU without any problems. There was no need to worry about living in a big city anyways because I was going to be busy with my studies. Once I was accepted to Ohio Northern University and its musical theatre program, the decision was obvious. Honestly, I knew I wanted to attend ONU as soon as I read my acceptance letter. I had a gut feeling that this was the right place for me. So, the next day I decided to submit my deposit. Everything was finalized. I decided where I was going to attend college for the next four years. That was probably one of the best feelings I've ever had. Knowing where you want to go and what you want to do gives a great sense of security and that brought me joy.


So has ONU been worth it so far? Most definitely. I have discovered that it is easy to become bored on the weekends but with my friends, we always find something to get into. The experiences I've had so far have been very rewarding. I have been able to work with guest directors and I have met some great connections throughout my first two years. I am very excited to finish my final two years here at ONU. Go Polar Bears!


If I have any advice for prospective students, it would be this... follow your dreams and make sure you're happy. I can't stress this enough. You will never be able to change the past so make sure you're present makes you happy. Regardless of what your friends and family tell you, do what you want to do. This is your life and your decision so follow wherever your heart leads you. That was very "mushy-gushy" but it is the plain simple truth.


Always follow your dreams and reach for the stars you high societal souls!


Word of the Day: Sniglet
Definition: Any word coined for something that has no specific name.


All the best

No comments:

Post a Comment